Beneath the Reflections is the go-to guide for visitors to the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area. An interesting and informative read, it will help you to get the most from your visit to Fiordland.
The guide provides an introduction to the Fiordland marine environment and fisheries including:
- how the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area was established and how it is managed
- the history of Fiordland and its physical and biological character
- practical information about the activities permitted while travelling through the fiords including important information to ensure you don’t transport pests into the area
- information on recreational fishing rules and commercial fishing regulations for the area
- a fiord-by-fiord guide to help you understand the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area, including maps or recommended anchorage sites
- a list of charts and books about Fiordland.
The guide was prepared by the Fiordland Marine Guardians, the Ministry for the Environment, the Ministry for Primary Industries, the Department of Conservation, and Environment Southland.
Download a copy of the guide for free.
- Beneath the Reflections: A user’s guide to the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area [PDF, 13 MB]
Purchase a copy from the Department of Conservation’s Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre:
Te Anau 9600
Phone: +64 03 249 7924 (for phone orders)
Printed copies cost $25.00 (plus postage if you are ordering from elsewhere).