The Minister for the Environment is seeking nominations for members of the Fiordland Marine Guardians (the Guardians).
The Guardians are an advisory group established by the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Management Act 2005. They provide advice to Ministers, government departments, and Environment Southland on managing the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area.
The membership of the Guardians must reflect a balanced mix of knowledge and experience in the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) Marine Area. At least five members must reside in the Otago or Southland regions.
Four positions are currently available to be filled.
Members of the Fiordland Marine Guardians should have the following skills:
· A basic understanding of Te Titiri o Waitangi, Te Titiri based partnerships, and tikanga Māori
· Knowledge of the Guardians ‘Vision’ and ‘Philosophy’ and ability to demonstrate behaviours aligned to these principles
· Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for the role and the Fiordland Marine Area (FMA) and the necessary time to contribute effectively to the work of the Guardians
· Relevant (recent and ongoing) experience and knowledge of coastal Fiordland
· Experience, knowledge, and perspective to complement those of the existing Guardians
· Knowledge, experience and/or expertise in one or more aspects of the legislation and policy instruments relevant to managing the FMA
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others, including government agencies, industry, educational sectors, iwi-led organisations, and recreational and environmental groups
· A wide network and confidence engaging effectively with others
· Experience in governance and/or an understanding of what governance is and how this is applied through the Fiordland Marine Guardians/FMA model
· Demonstrated behaviours that suggest they have high personal integrity.
· Experience chairing meetings or in related leadership roles
Nominations (using this form), including a CV and cover letter outlining how you meet the position requirements, should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Fiordland Marine Guardians Nominations, Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington 6143.
Nominations close 5.00pm 28 June 2020.